Volunteering at RSR
Ready Set Ride volunteers are an integral part of the therapy sessions.
We make every effort to ensure each volunteer is welcomed and allowed to expand their interests. If you love horses, kids, or just want to be outside a bit more, this is the perfect opportunity for you! Barn chores can be a workout like no other, working with horses can be a hands-on class in animal behavior and working with our special needs riders is a life-changing experience.
Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age, and no prior equine experience is required. Volunteering can be done individually or in groups. Adult volunteers are especially in need.
One of the main things to remember about becoming a volunteer at Ready Set Ride is consistency. Our riders love consistency because they form bonds with our volunteers. Our horses love consistency because they get to know you and feel comfortable with you. Because of this volunteers who are consistent will get priority for side-walking and other exciting opportunities that aren't always available! Being early, not just on time and letting go of your everyday will allow you to experience the program, learn and truly make a difference!
Meet Some of our Volunteers
EVERY person who has helped RSR becomes a part of our family. Whether it was just for one afternoon as part of a group or for 5 years during the summer, we want you to know that our organization depends on you and ALL the work you do!
Volunteering for 4 years
"When I started volunteering I came for the horses, but the reason I stayed is because there is no better feeling in the world than seeing a child with special needs truly happy. "
Volunteering for 5 years
"I love working with the horses, riders and their families. I also love giving rides on the gator and Scooter is my favorite horse! "
Volunteering for 4 years
"I love Ready Set Ride because every time I go, there is always something positive happening and something new to learn."
Want to become part of RSR?
We want you to be part of our team and all that we do! Whether you have lots of experience working with children with special needs or horses or no experience at all, you can still be a part of all that we do. Follow these 3 easy steps to become a RSR volunteer making the difference in the lives of so many!
- Schedule a time to come in and tour our facility to see if it's right for you! We want this experience to work for YOU as much as we need it to work for us. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-439-3659.
- Download the Volunteer Form, print it out, fill it out and bring it with you to the barn when you come for a tour.
- Read over our Volunteer FAQ's and Volunteer Manual before you come. Get a head start and check out our RSR training videos as well!
Once you've filled out your application and signed up for a tour you can then take part in one of our volunteer training sessions. Always check back for updates on when the next one is!
2021 TRAINING SESSION DATES
Some Reminders: Our Insurance requires that all volunteers be at least 14 years old and attend one training even if you are a returning volunteer.
To participate in the training, we are asking for a $25 gift card to anywhere (Target, Wal-mart, Red Robin...etc.) that will be used at our Annual Auction in November to raise funds for the winter!
- Saturday, March 6th - 9:00am-1:00pm - Side Walker Training
- Sunday, March 7th - 9:00am-1:00pm - Leader Training
- Saturday, March 13th - 9:00am-1:00pm - Leader Training
- Sunday, March 14th - 9:00am-1:00pm - Side Walker Training
- Sunday, May 21st - 9:00am-1:00pm - Mandatory Refresher Training for any 2020 Volunteer Returning
- Saturday May 22nd - 9:00am-1:00pm - Side Walker Training
Download our Remind App to be notified what will be covered each Sunday in March and scheduled time or like our Facebook page for updates. Subjects covered are weather permitting.
In order to sign-up for sessions and make sure you can communicate with our volunteer coordinator and instructors please sign-up to be on our REMIND group. It's an app that a lot of schools use as well so you might already have it!
- IF you already have the application just add a class code!
@rsrmon, @rsrtues, @rsrweds, @rsrthursd,
@rsrsun (please specify which shift, 9-12 or 12-3)
FOR GENERAL INFORMATION USE THE CODE @rsrvol
- IF you DO NOT have the application, use the button on the right for the Remind App Login and follow the instructions to sign-up then add the class code from above that you'd like to be a part of. Make sure to add the general code as well! If you need help, just e-mail us at email@example.com.
READY SET RIDE APPAREL
Need to get some Ready Set Ride apparel to wear??? That's easy! We have two different companies that make items for us and part of the proceeds come back to the barn!
Want to Volunteer as a Group?
Groups are just as important as individual volunteers! We always have things to do around the barn for your NHS group, Key Club, Church or Business.
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of how many people are in your group, what you're looking to do and availability.
- Download the Group Form and have each individual participating fill it out and bring it with you to the barn when you come for your day.